This project is read-only.

Doing COM yourself or using ATL

Topics: Developer Forum
Mar 10, 2007 at 8:59 PM
Hi James,

While reading your source code, I saw that you handle all low level COM stuff yourself. Is this is a design decision or just the current implementation?

Victor
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2007 at 8:52 PM
Hi Victor,

(Well, the source code is not in a good state at the moment - it's entirely because I've had almost no time to give to this project. So it's definitely good to not infer too much from the code layout as is. I'm learning WMI with this code, which will get a substantial scrubbing and rewrite. I would characterize it as pre-alpha quality.)

I moved away from ATL because I wanted more flexibility around QueryInterface logging (important for diagnosing IShellFolder issues). So I'd like to get back to ATL, but I don't want to lose the improvements - I have to consider how to do that. I'd like to generalize the logging so that it can be applied to any shell folder without recompilation which will probably allow a return to ATL COM. At the same time, there are usually calls within the shell folder that could not be intercepted with a proxy approach without cooperation, so I may keep this style or consider other approaches.

Hope that helps,
James